Sometimes it Takes a Jackhammer to Escape Vanity Fair.
While big may be the new big, the weblite Applesque loved 37 Signals is recommending spoons not jackhammers : "Pouring tons of money, tons of resources, and tons of people at a problem is like using a jackhammer to break out of jail. Putting a few smart people on the problem, embracing constraints, not trying to solve the wrong problems, focusing on precision, not using seven words when four will do, and taking the time to get it done right is like using the spoon."
Aaron Swartz, the kinda co-Founder crossover Founding team member of reddit, would probably prefer a jackhammer than a spoon when dealing with The Publisher of Such Great Important Authoritative Titles such as Vanity Fair But We Really Want to Diversify Our Online Websites such as WIred so we can Increase our CPMs. While Aaron wasn't too ensconced in Conde Nast, it did make for great fictionblogdocudrama, as is perfectly capped off in what could be the latest tool for a 360 exit interview with HR (a blog post of course) :
AaronSW : "Paul Graham is indeed in that room, as is his girlfriend and my co-founders and the other Y Combinators I know and a bunch of people I don't recognize (probably this year's batch of Y Combinators). They start surrounding me. I begin to suspect a trap. "What's going on here?" I ask Steve. "Wait a second, you brought me here, didn't you?" "What are you talking about?" Steve replies. "I mean, I remember going to sleep, I remember kind of wanting to wake up, but then all of the sudden I'm in the Moscone Center? How did I get here? You must have brought me here, didn't you?" Steve denies all knowledge, but there's a gleam in his eye. The people surrounding me take a step closer. "Alright," I say. "I'll make a deal. If I can tickle every last one of you, I go free. Otherwise, you win." They seem to accept the deal. I begin tickling. People begin running, dodging, flying around the room. But I'm like a heat-seeking missile. I track down every one of them, extend my hands out, go straight for their armpits. I win."
HR Lunchbreak Manager 1 : "Did you read that Aaron guy's blog post about leaving that website we bought. He mentioned HR had to walk him out of the building."
HR Lunchbreak Manager 2 : "Yeah, fn blogs. Why can't people just use spoons."
Aaron Swartz, the kinda co-Founder crossover Founding team member of reddit, would probably prefer a jackhammer than a spoon when dealing with The Publisher of Such Great Important Authoritative Titles such as Vanity Fair But We Really Want to Diversify Our Online Websites such as WIred so we can Increase our CPMs. While Aaron wasn't too ensconced in Conde Nast, it did make for great fictionblogdocudrama, as is perfectly capped off in what could be the latest tool for a 360 exit interview with HR (a blog post of course) :
AaronSW : "Paul Graham is indeed in that room, as is his girlfriend and my co-founders and the other Y Combinators I know and a bunch of people I don't recognize (probably this year's batch of Y Combinators). They start surrounding me. I begin to suspect a trap. "What's going on here?" I ask Steve. "Wait a second, you brought me here, didn't you?" "What are you talking about?" Steve replies. "I mean, I remember going to sleep, I remember kind of wanting to wake up, but then all of the sudden I'm in the Moscone Center? How did I get here? You must have brought me here, didn't you?" Steve denies all knowledge, but there's a gleam in his eye. The people surrounding me take a step closer. "Alright," I say. "I'll make a deal. If I can tickle every last one of you, I go free. Otherwise, you win." They seem to accept the deal. I begin tickling. People begin running, dodging, flying around the room. But I'm like a heat-seeking missile. I track down every one of them, extend my hands out, go straight for their armpits. I win."
HR Lunchbreak Manager 1 : "Did you read that Aaron guy's blog post about leaving that website we bought. He mentioned HR had to walk him out of the building."
HR Lunchbreak Manager 2 : "Yeah, fn blogs. Why can't people just use spoons."



<< Home