Sunday, October 29, 2006

Rollyo Your Own 997-GT3-RS


pimp RS
Originally uploaded by benbarren.
I've spent the last few days enjoying not the startup car breaking down 12kms from home in country forest land (minus mobile and payphones) in Main Ridge. Cue some (felt like) hiking home in the rain thru forest, then organising tow trucks after the 2.5 hr walkabout. The a priori company and sports car grass is always greener in such moments, leading to a you better know what u r doing, get your frk on.

So Dave Winer, the CTO every newspaper should be dying to have (well, um I guess they may actually die if they dont act) makes a point I'd been thinking about re people saying search and therefore technology startups are over because of the billion annual R+D spends of Google - followed by Yahoo + Microsoft. Just because I can rollyo on google co-op doesnt mean I want to build kewl or real stuff for them to own. (using google docs last night though was pretty impressive)

So the man with the RSS couch is right : Rethink the problem. Rethink the solution. Heck, invent a new standard like the man himself. It's Judo not GeorgeB. Until then the black orange tipped 997-GT3RS is a ways away, maybe.

Scripting.com : "The next layer comes on not by building on the old layer (a trick, the guy you're building on will eat your lunch), or re-doing what they did (what the naysayers correctly say you can't do), but by starting from a different place and building something new, and so different that the old guys don't understand it and don't feel threatened by it... There will be new technology enterprises that make the search engine as humdrum as the desktop OS is today. Bet on it and win. Think that all innovation must come in the form of applications of search and you'll be left in the dust."