Saturday, October 14, 2006

Rojo is Dead. To Me Anyway.


top gear
Originally uploaded by benbarren.
I've been a web based rss reader guy from the start. Like gmail, I need access on whatever PC, Mac etc I'm on. Anyway, so I used rojo, especially when I had the tweek so I could read 500-700 results in a river of news way - http://rojo.com/recent-stories/?width=700 (pure recency from the 1500 feeds I subscribe to) This tweek is now turned off and the new system seems buggy as hell.

So I need a new web based reader. Since Rojo was bought, as well as not being able to read 500 -700 stories at once on one page (I can only read 100 now), but more so there are lots of errors (often once i get about 3 pages or 300 results in) with a blank screen etc and no way to navigate through ("next" yeah right, it doesnt work already). Not to mention the newest stories and RSS isnt updating. (eg page 1 results have stories from 2 days ago, when I should have 5 pages of stories in last half day or less) So no more Rojo.

I've been using Google reader by importing my OPML, but while I like the UI, and the cascading experience, it's got problems. The newest content seems to often/always be 16 hours old. The loading isnt always smooth, and you cant get to new content easy.

The worst result has been that by not having a handy, quick, comprehensive rss reader working it's been screwing with my blogging. Combined with type A business priorities (which you have to put first - you dont want to reflect on what happened and realised you blogged too much) not having an rss reader that worked, has made it waaay hard to block quickly and effectively. Damn 6Apart.

So I need a new web based rss reader : I was supposed to have one of my own by now, but that baby's not yet online, so I need something to fill in the gaps. Web based please. Or tips on google reader and why it's showing newest content is 16 hours old ?