The Local RSS Feed Parsing Heatwave
It's funny how different a startup is to working in a big company/portal. (i wont dwell on the company car/petrol card or thousands that go into your bank account each month) Or even a corporate startup as I used to call it. (a new company with major funding or resources) You might have 3 or 4 people and a network of collaborators in different places, at different times, doing different work, for different motivations and incentives.
As an employee you are surrounded by people/politics. As a freelance consultant you are a desert island. Being an entrepreneur or startup employee also has an element of Tasmania to it.
I think the major difference today from say working in "Corporate Strategy", "Product and Business Development" - all areas I've worked in, is that there is no safety net. No protection from market forces. It makes writing a plan for a big company that won't implement it, seem totally tame, and fundamentally different - so that when you speak to such people you empathise but also feel a mile away. It's raw like a 911 that uses 4WD, stability management vs one that doesnt or has the intervention levels turned off.
Come that fortnightly and monthly paytime though, and associated lifestyle, obligations, repayments and consumeristic urban lifestyle, it's also totally different :) Walking around St Kilda yday (given I live down coast but commute to our Elsternwick office on stealth missions) and seeing Gaelan from big brother, and other urbanites wannabee hipsters doing the midday brunch/beer thang in Melbourne's October heatwave, it's all a bit of a circus to me.
How is a latte on Acland st going to help my back-end feed parsing and indexing improvements we are working on :) ? DId I say startups are obsessive, which healthily suits me. Did I say being a startup forever, like a stunted adolescent also isn't the best idea in the world (which will keep moving irrespective of your startup ideals) You do the yards, and all you want to do is remain standing.
Some playaz with the midaz touch will walk out with the bling, most wont. Exception that proves the roolz. The X + 1% which will make one win, the other lose. While the increasing 2web trend is to boot it to the States and Delawareise, that is only attractive to me from a working with people who are total pros in what they are doing.
Marketwise I'm totally into this local thang. But when Gaelan appears in the dreamscape of your startup, you need to be able to read the signs : Scale, Monetise, Execute. Rinse n Repeat.
As an employee you are surrounded by people/politics. As a freelance consultant you are a desert island. Being an entrepreneur or startup employee also has an element of Tasmania to it.
I think the major difference today from say working in "Corporate Strategy", "Product and Business Development" - all areas I've worked in, is that there is no safety net. No protection from market forces. It makes writing a plan for a big company that won't implement it, seem totally tame, and fundamentally different - so that when you speak to such people you empathise but also feel a mile away. It's raw like a 911 that uses 4WD, stability management vs one that doesnt or has the intervention levels turned off.
Come that fortnightly and monthly paytime though, and associated lifestyle, obligations, repayments and consumeristic urban lifestyle, it's also totally different :) Walking around St Kilda yday (given I live down coast but commute to our Elsternwick office on stealth missions) and seeing Gaelan from big brother, and other urbanites wannabee hipsters doing the midday brunch/beer thang in Melbourne's October heatwave, it's all a bit of a circus to me.
How is a latte on Acland st going to help my back-end feed parsing and indexing improvements we are working on :) ? DId I say startups are obsessive, which healthily suits me. Did I say being a startup forever, like a stunted adolescent also isn't the best idea in the world (which will keep moving irrespective of your startup ideals) You do the yards, and all you want to do is remain standing.
Some playaz with the midaz touch will walk out with the bling, most wont. Exception that proves the roolz. The X + 1% which will make one win, the other lose. While the increasing 2web trend is to boot it to the States and Delawareise, that is only attractive to me from a working with people who are total pros in what they are doing.
Marketwise I'm totally into this local thang. But when Gaelan appears in the dreamscape of your startup, you need to be able to read the signs : Scale, Monetise, Execute. Rinse n Repeat.



<< Home