"You say you are listening to me, but do you really hear what I am saying ?"
Cuban takes a trip down memory lane talking about "hits" : Not the Chris Anderson roadkill version but the tipping point for a journalist to get a soundbite in the e90's. Y'know : "The new e.... toys... website has 1m hits in its first week..." etc)
Anyway, Mark is equating hits with measurement metrics in podcasting and online video - Which at a cursory level (like all media where ads are sold) gets dodgy, in this case when comparing RSS (and other) auto-subscription downloads vs those that actually listen; I may download but I may not listen.
If u ever study or work in advertising the readership vs circulation debate is one of the first you will learn re newspapers and magazines.. (and then there is "audited" circulation) Your next class will be demographics, psychographics... and lots of theories about how long a magazine stays on a coffee table and how often it is read, and by whom.. I kid u not !
I wont even discuss the pyschology 101, meets sam and the city gender relations of "You say you are listening to me, but do you really hear what I am saying ?" :D
Blog Maverick : "Streaming video servers and Ad Insertion servers can count exactly how many bytes were streamed to a user which can be recalculated into number of minutes , seconds or hours for each attempt at viewing a video, whether ad or content. And from experience, i can tell you that a huge chunk of attempts to view are aborted for any number of reasons. Yet I have yet to see any references to views with an average length of viewing or a percentage of video watched competely through."
Mel Martin : "We use our ears to hear and our brains to listen. The problem this presents to the musician is that there is an assumption that what is heard is accurate. In music, particularly jazz music, the ability to hear accurately and quickly must be developed to the highest possible degree. This can be done in a number of ways. The first thing that is usually required of the student musician is to begin to accurately gauge intonation. Hearing pitch is never a simple cut and dried method due to the acoustic problems presented by each instrument."
Anyway, Mark is equating hits with measurement metrics in podcasting and online video - Which at a cursory level (like all media where ads are sold) gets dodgy, in this case when comparing RSS (and other) auto-subscription downloads vs those that actually listen; I may download but I may not listen.
If u ever study or work in advertising the readership vs circulation debate is one of the first you will learn re newspapers and magazines.. (and then there is "audited" circulation) Your next class will be demographics, psychographics... and lots of theories about how long a magazine stays on a coffee table and how often it is read, and by whom.. I kid u not !
I wont even discuss the pyschology 101, meets sam and the city gender relations of "You say you are listening to me, but do you really hear what I am saying ?" :D
Blog Maverick : "Streaming video servers and Ad Insertion servers can count exactly how many bytes were streamed to a user which can be recalculated into number of minutes , seconds or hours for each attempt at viewing a video, whether ad or content. And from experience, i can tell you that a huge chunk of attempts to view are aborted for any number of reasons. Yet I have yet to see any references to views with an average length of viewing or a percentage of video watched competely through."
Mel Martin : "We use our ears to hear and our brains to listen. The problem this presents to the musician is that there is an assumption that what is heard is accurate. In music, particularly jazz music, the ability to hear accurately and quickly must be developed to the highest possible degree. This can be done in a number of ways. The first thing that is usually required of the student musician is to begin to accurately gauge intonation. Hearing pitch is never a simple cut and dried method due to the acoustic problems presented by each instrument."



<< Home