Thursday, July 27, 2006

"I promised myself I'd profit from Web 2.0 and all I got was this tshirt."


turtleneck finger
Originally uploaded by benbarren.
There's been alot of talk about social media websites paying high trafficked contributors. On one side Digg are saying they might be able to come up with a tshirt or website badge.

Netscape are offering $1k per month to a very small number of people, which make it more a marketing activity to mess with the Digg'ers and position Netscape as The Number 2 that Trys Harder. That Cares. About You. The Content Contributor. At the centre of this new Web 2.0 Universe. ("There are millions being made off you. Millions...." : "I never thought about it like that - You are right. It isn't right.")

I think the shift towards having a COGS line for Content Contributors in social media websites is inevitable, however it's also something that will be protected against by the leaders (digg, flickr) It will likely be implemented by the challengers (netscape, ookles) although like Adsense, the network effect is with the leader even if all they have for you is a t-shirt. ("I promised myself I'd profit from Web 2.0 and all I got was this tshirt." - would be a kewl design Netscape or Digg could print up)

If you can put Google adsense on a blog, it's not really too big a step to be able to make revenue out of your digg/netscape/flickr account. If you get traffic that can be monetised - which you share in eg 10-15%; Performance Driven Content Payments.

I'd also file this under the 'no publicity is bad publicity' folder - In that we have heard more about Netscape as a content destination website in the last 6 weeks, than in the last 6-10 years (when we actually used the netscape browser)

Anyway, I'm also enjoying the meta-meta'ness of the debate - Where stories about "the (Digg vs Netscape) story" are dugg and netscap'd. And then there are stories that get dugg about not being dugg. Below is one of the "Top 12" contributors to digg who has dugg his emails from Jason Calacanis and the Netscape Team. I havent checked if they have been netscap'd.

Message#1
Was thinking, you're a digging machine... Maybe we could pay you to digg for us!
I know, sounds crazy, but so did getting paid to blog three years ago.
:-)

Best j----------------
This email was sent from my Blackberry.
Cell: 310-456-4900 | email: jason@calacanis.com

Message#2
Jason McCabe Calacanis
CEO, Weblogs, Inc., An AOL Company.
GM, Netscape.com
Office: 310-979-5654 | Mobile: 310-456-4900
Blog: http://www.calacanis.com
Yahoo/AOL IM: jasoncalacanis

Tyson: your work here is amazing... http://digg.com/users/tysonhy

CK: please talk t Tyson about working on the new netscape!

best j--

Read Rest.