Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Blog Rank Revenge of the (M/Aussie) List


paris et al
Originally uploaded by benbarren.
Funny how certain posts grab your eye when you are working on a similar problem yourself for a different application. OK well, Im not actually working on it directly, as in doing the coding, I'm the business ideas man who asks his engineers to do the impossible, or as they would say, "the stoopid". OK well they dont really say that. Truth is so abitrary. Where "M"-List bloggers are mentioned just insert "Aussie" and that is my interest. Not in Paris.

Darwinian Web initial post on Revenge of the M-List set the scene : "I think there is also a more gradual phenomenon that I call the revenge of the M-list. When a new area of interest develops, such as what we are now seeing with OPML reading lists, a group of mutually linking bloggers emerges. If one of these bloggers is an A-lister, then the majority of the links point to his or her posts on the subject. If, on the other hand, the inter-linkers are all middle ranked bloggers, let's call them M-listers, they tend to link to each other fairly liberally. As new people become interested in the subject, they find these clusters of posts (memetracking sites do a great job of revealing M-list clusters), and also link to many of the blogs in the cluster, since there is no one recognizable A-lister to link to exclusively."

Darwinian Web's most recent post on Blog Rank updates us on his M-List Progress : "My basic goal is to determine whether bloggers tend to link mostly to others with a similar rank (Crosslinking), or to those with higher (Uplinking) or lower (Downlinking) rank. To do this I will first extract the set of bloggers listed at one time on Tech Memeorandum and use them as my sample. Let's call them the target list of bloggers, or target bloggers for short. I can use the Technorati API to determine the rank of each target blogger, and then split them into 3 groups, with a rank of less than 1,000 signifying membership in the A-list, between 1,000 and 10,000 being the M-list, and the remainder being the Z-list..

The tricky part is determining the rank of the blogs that the target bloggers link to. I can autodiscover the target bloggers' RSS feeds and extract the links from their posts, but Technorati doesn't give a rank for just a post URL. It needs to know the URL of a blog's home page. So what I have to do is autodiscover the RSS feeds of blogs the target bloggers link to, and then look in those RSS feeds to find the home page URL, which can then be used to determine the rank on Technorati. At that point I can count the number of uplinks, downlinks, and crosslinks made by each target blogger. This data can then be analysed..."