Monday, January 23, 2006

Selfishness in User Generated Content


i sing 4 u
Originally uploaded by redbarren.
Mike Arrington, the 2.0 Don, linked to a very interesting post on user generated content by Ethan Stock - It certainly isn't as easy as it looks. Kids, do not try this User Generated Content Experiment at home : "Delicious bookmarks and Flickr photos. I primarily bookmark and take pictures for myself -- because I want to remember, or because I like something. I use these web-based apps instead of client-side equivalents because I personally get more value out of them. While the social benefit is apparent, I view that social benefit strictly through a selfish lens -- instead of emailing pictures to my Mom, I can just point her at Flickr. I encourage other people to use these sites for selfish reasons as well -- it makes it easier for me to keep track of their UCC. Another great example of selfish UCC is every auction on eBay. Those sellers are not putting those auctions up there to help anyone but themselves - any general benefit is strictly a secondary effect. It's not necessary for any individual item of UCC to relate to any other item - a picture or a bookmark has its own stand-alone value."