Saturday, January 28, 2006

A Flickring Broadcast.com Search on delicious Geocities


green sneakers
Originally uploaded by redbarren.
The Gemaya/VC/Entrepreneur Triumvirate and the mindset of the "tired/hungry" entrepreneur is almost revealed in this light Guardian piece on del.icio.us : On one hand, you have the entrepreneur that has slaved obsessively with no resources (till later stages) for years. Reports the Guardian on Joshua : "Small wonder that when I got in touch, the guy who invented one of the hottest new ideas online - and just sold it for a personal fortune - couldn't have sounded more miserable. Online, the gossip was about how much he sold for, and the reach of "user tagging", the idea that Delicious introduced. But Schachter, the site's creator, mainly sounded relieved to have the $57bn corporation taking over."

On the other hand, the resources which large companies offer allow for dreaming to occur. Calacanis got a Powerbook (non-Intel ?) and a trip to Sundance ! Joshua concludes with : "I want to build something that grows from large to huge. I don't know if I have another innovation in me, but it would be nice to try."

I file this under the flickr/youtube conundrum. Youtube was jokingly called the flickr of video. However, if flickr hadnt be bought by Yahoo it could have been the youtube of video. Even the new myspace. Instead, it has to take a dumbed down approach having its technology assimilated, integrated into the organisation. (always near impossible, often leading to being run as standalone) ExFounders - now employees - have to attend corporate meetings, train staff, and run problem projects ("we will be the #1 in social search + tagging, and x's skill in this area is unparalleled etc") In between planning the next new new thing they will do that is. Throw in home improvements, new philanthropic interests and a break after a crazy few years - all deserved too. All you have to do is look at Evan Williams/Blogger as an example, that its hard, technically, and organisationally to do so. Let alone get on the front foot and recreate that near autobiographical first book. Plus 2nd Album Blues. Go back even further and look at the "acquisition integration non success" of multi-billion dollar deals like Geocities and Broadcast.com. I wont even touch that period of astrology and ecard eyeball acquisitions. I hope that doesnt happen here. No-one said succession planning and acquisition integration was easy in any industry ! As marketers say, every new problem begats the need for a fresh solution. Schumpeter and so on.