Wednesday, October 12, 2005

2.0 Tools - Read This


save me im drowning
Originally uploaded by redbarren.
Kevin Burton Nails this : Kevin - a word of sanity, thankyou - "A lot of the recent news around Web 2.0 is starting to frighten me. There is just too much money flying around with too much hype and too little value. Take the Web 2.0 conference for example. This thing was way over hyped. It was fun and all but worth $2800? I don't think so. Mostly suits from my vantage point. Heck for $2800 you can buy two database servers for your website. Case in point is this great post over on Silicon Beat:'Silicon Valley venture firm Sequoia Capital backs YouTube ... has invested $5 million, and now values the company at $20 million.' YouTube is cool. Great product. I'm sure someday they will be worth $20 million just not today. How long have these guys been around? How much do you think it would cost to outsource a clone of YouTube? Less than $20 million I'm sure.Inform is a new startup about to launch: 'We too bumped into Inform CEO Neal Goldman at Web 2.0, and he was obviously excited about it. It already has 55 employees, which astonished us' : Fifty five employees!? This has to be a typo. Five employees would be way overkill for most useful Web 2.0 products.

I love Web 2.0. I think there's a lot of innovation ahead. I just don't want to see a repeat of the last .bomb where the market was hyped only to implode later. The root of the issue from my vantage point is tech reliance on Venture Capital. The VC have too much incentive to hype their portfolio so that they can sell it to a BigCo or exit with an IPO. This isn't good for your company, isn't good for consumers, and isn't good for the long term health of the tech industry. Call me crazy but I just want to build a viable company with a real product solving a real consumer need. At least we'll get some free sushi out of the deal. I just hope the industry doesn't get food poisoning."