When is Big, enough ?
Another GOOG story, and more here, then Im not mentioning them for a few days, just there are alot of non-RSS readers in Australia of this blog (who work in search - web 2.0 hasnt hit there yet if that is believable, and read these type of articles) : "Google says it is 1,000 times the size of the original index. As John Battelle quotes on page 77 of “The Search”, an email from Larry Page to Terry Winograd, dated July 15, 1996 : "I am almost out of disk space. I have downloaded about… 24 million unique URLs and about 100 million links… I think I will need 8 gigs more to store everything… Current retail prices are about $1000/4 gigs… I have only about 15% of the pages but it seems promising." Thus, 24 billion. 'Additionally, Google says it is “3 times larger than any other search engine”. Now, MSN had 5 billion last November. Growth should put it currently between 7.5-10 billion, which puts Google at three times that. Now, Yahoo has 19 billion (and Google with 60 billion seems kinda silly). Does this mean Google doesn’t consider Yahoo a real search engine, or believe Yahoo’s counts at all? Tough call, but it seems more of a diss than a boast."



<< Home