u can searchme.com but i dont have your $43m!
So do u sometimes dream what u would do with a certain amount of VC ? According to TechCrunch searchme.com have raised over $43m to do Coverflow for Search. Having been at a company that raised that amount of money, you really dont need that much and can move the decimal point one digit left and be quite happy with a few mill rather than tens of.
Obviously my coffee hasnt kicked in because I aint got $43m or even $4.3m, although if persistence and focus is key I've got millions of that ! Did I mention I'm rich on the inside ? How useless and quite untrue. Anyway I quite like the searchme interface wish the initial images could be a bit smaller tho., thumbnaily, so I could flick thru multiple channels of search results content. Also it seems strange that you can build stacks, but they are separate from the search results, and also laid out differently. (the stacks being smaller look better than the search results)
My google preferences are 100 search results on each page, so if I look on average at 1.5 pages, that's 150 search results I can scan thru in 5-7 seconds. With searchme, the equivalent number would be closer to 20. Thats why if I could view 5 thumbnails of content from different sources, with 30 results in each, I'm getting the same universe potential as google, but with the pictorial bonus. The TC Bible also mentioned that SearchMe is "one of only a handful of companies that indexes the entire web, so they’re serious about evolving into a big search player over the years." - I also find that interesting in so far as I keep wanting to find a heavily filtered, high authority, but live web search result - And ideally across multiple content sources/file types.
So the example of "Breitling" search :
- Web Links : I could navigate one stream of thumbnails/screenshots of the destination sites that are the high page rank googlelike results eg breitling.com, breitlingsource.com etc
- Etailers : Online and offline retailers that sell breitling eg authenticwatches.com/breitling
- Images : From flickr api (as they are doing) and other sources (eg images from watch forums)
- Blogs/News : Latest blog posts about breitling on watch blogs.. these would be key from a recency point of view.
Also I know alot of search engines following google's relevancy model (and being the default architecture of lucene) order results based on what they think will be most popular. Ironically where google is heading on their advanced search is what should be standard : Ability to draw results (which can still be ranked or not on relevancy) that are new in the last day, month, week, month or year. In effect what blog search engines have done since day dot.
I like searchme. They could fund the whole Australian web 2.0 industry thru their funding and still achieve their product goals, but good on em! If they could give power users who no longer use technorati much, and arent fully satisfied with google.com they could definitely get some adoption. I'd just get their search results to look like and integrate with their "stacks" and provide a better "live web" search result into filtered channels of thumbnail browsable content.
As Dave Winer said about twitter, it's about giving users and developers more power about how they use and develop products. In the search example, the power is with google, and the me-too products are all one search box one column results size. So hopefully searchme, and other companies wanting to slicendice profitable niches from google, can allow more controls to view the live web portions of their content. Or provide access to their coverflow type content browsing tools. Now if Yahoo just opensource the heck out of some of that searchmonkey technology so those of us without $43m* can develop innovative front end search products....
Related Video : I'm going to watch this video on Ajaxian with the guy thats written the Sproutcore technology that powers Apple's MobileMe (makes me wonder what technology underpins searchme?) : "Charles talks about techniques that they use to give you fast applications (common global event dispatch seems key, and Prototype 2.0 is adding this) and how he feels that compelling rich browser applications will keep pushing the browser vendors to speed up, and shape up!"
* versus those with $38m Series C to do mobile telephony for "the elderly" !
Obviously my coffee hasnt kicked in because I aint got $43m or even $4.3m, although if persistence and focus is key I've got millions of that ! Did I mention I'm rich on the inside ? How useless and quite untrue. Anyway I quite like the searchme interface wish the initial images could be a bit smaller tho., thumbnaily, so I could flick thru multiple channels of search results content. Also it seems strange that you can build stacks, but they are separate from the search results, and also laid out differently. (the stacks being smaller look better than the search results)
My google preferences are 100 search results on each page, so if I look on average at 1.5 pages, that's 150 search results I can scan thru in 5-7 seconds. With searchme, the equivalent number would be closer to 20. Thats why if I could view 5 thumbnails of content from different sources, with 30 results in each, I'm getting the same universe potential as google, but with the pictorial bonus. The TC Bible also mentioned that SearchMe is "one of only a handful of companies that indexes the entire web, so they’re serious about evolving into a big search player over the years." - I also find that interesting in so far as I keep wanting to find a heavily filtered, high authority, but live web search result - And ideally across multiple content sources/file types.
So the example of "Breitling" search :
- Web Links : I could navigate one stream of thumbnails/screenshots of the destination sites that are the high page rank googlelike results eg breitling.com, breitlingsource.com etc
- Etailers : Online and offline retailers that sell breitling eg authenticwatches.com/breitling
- Images : From flickr api (as they are doing) and other sources (eg images from watch forums)
- Blogs/News : Latest blog posts about breitling on watch blogs.. these would be key from a recency point of view.
Also I know alot of search engines following google's relevancy model (and being the default architecture of lucene) order results based on what they think will be most popular. Ironically where google is heading on their advanced search is what should be standard : Ability to draw results (which can still be ranked or not on relevancy) that are new in the last day, month, week, month or year. In effect what blog search engines have done since day dot.
I like searchme. They could fund the whole Australian web 2.0 industry thru their funding and still achieve their product goals, but good on em! If they could give power users who no longer use technorati much, and arent fully satisfied with google.com they could definitely get some adoption. I'd just get their search results to look like and integrate with their "stacks" and provide a better "live web" search result into filtered channels of thumbnail browsable content.
As Dave Winer said about twitter, it's about giving users and developers more power about how they use and develop products. In the search example, the power is with google, and the me-too products are all one search box one column results size. So hopefully searchme, and other companies wanting to slicendice profitable niches from google, can allow more controls to view the live web portions of their content. Or provide access to their coverflow type content browsing tools. Now if Yahoo just opensource the heck out of some of that searchmonkey technology so those of us without $43m* can develop innovative front end search products....
Related Video : I'm going to watch this video on Ajaxian with the guy thats written the Sproutcore technology that powers Apple's MobileMe (makes me wonder what technology underpins searchme?) : "Charles talks about techniques that they use to give you fast applications (common global event dispatch seems key, and Prototype 2.0 is adding this) and how he feels that compelling rich browser applications will keep pushing the browser vendors to speed up, and shape up!"
* versus those with $38m Series C to do mobile telephony for "the elderly" !
<< Home