Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Whole Point of MySpace is Oldies Dont Get It.


bad grrls
Originally uploaded by benbarren.
Russell Beattie from Yahoo is rightly scared. I'm sure someone has a Yahoo 360 vs MySpace Alexa graph, which would explain Russell's sleep patterns. The reason those over 30yrs dont get MySpace + Under 25's do, is why it works. Ask Fred Wilson, or read how his kids use MySpace. Watch the tween/high school/uni consumer. MySpace really is fascinating. It's an underage disco plied with neo-consumeristic independent 19 year olds whose nearest peer business case studies are early MTV and Ebay (MTV used to be rebellious + ebay was the world's biggest garage sale) MySpace also reminds me of when techno and electronic music was underground in the mid 1980's and the rock crowd said it would never go anywhere. Now it's the soundtrack for elevators, radios and so on. I like the honesty of Russell's post though : The first step is knowing what you don't know, and what makes friendster and myspace fundamentally different is cultural not technical. I didn't get myspace either outside of being an analyst and knowing it was huge for page views and the under 25yrs demo, but then I spent 3 days straight on it (for work actually) and got it. Step 1 Russell - Get a MySpace account and upload 'your' custom CSS template into About Me part of your profile. See if you can add some friends who dont work at Yahoo. The Saturday Night at Home Yahoo guy might just become the next Adam Curry (although his daughter Christina is the true myspace Curry guru) Beattie : "Why? Because I just don’t get it. I wish I did, but I don’t. Those crazy kids today, and all that. I mean, I get the components of it all - community, pictures, messages, music, social networking, yada-yada, but I don’t *get* why MySpace in particular is popular. I don’t grok it down deep."