Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Gorillaz : The World's Best Remixers ?


blue drink
Originally uploaded by benbarren.
We talked about whether anything is new in a remixed culture. Gorillaz came up of course. The movie, video game etc they have up the duff. Out came the Treo 650 :

"ALBARN: More and more, cultural groups are cross-pollinating, and we're getting much more interesting art as a result. Being in Blur has allowed me to travel and hear the music that's being made all over the world. On one song on Demon Days, you can hear that I pulled in some reggae elements and added a touch of Latin music. Then at the end, a Glen Campbell-style orchestra comes in.

HEWLETT: The coolest thing is that kids are catching the references we put in the music and the visuals, and then they're going out to learn about the original pieces of culture we were inspired by. The payoff is that the next generation of artists and writers might say, "I learned a lot from listening to the Gorillaz when I was 15."